Also climbing on The Sharp end. In the early days of climbing (1880's - 1940's), there was not way to secure the leader to the rock. He would tie a hawser rope around his waist and his seconds (the people climbing after him) would be tied to the other end of the rope. If the leader fell it potentially fatal for the entire party. The term "the leader must not fall" came into existence.

Over time much climbing terms was invented to help secure the leader against a fall. Some modern trad climbs have poor gear and if the leader falls he may well take his second with him. Guides to these climbs usually contain that old piece of advice "the leader must not fall"

(led'ing) In graphic arts and type setting, the vertical spacing between rows of type. Originated from old letterpress printing and handset type, where actual strips of lead were inserted between the rows of type.

Lead"ing (?), a.

Guiding; directing; controlling; foremost; as, a leading motive; a leading man; a leading example.

-- Lead"ing*ly, adv.

Leading case Law, a reported decision which has come to be regarded as settling the law of the question involved. Abbott. -- Leading motive [a translation of G. leitmotif] Mus., a guiding theme; in the modern music drama of Wagner, a marked melodic phrase or short passage which always accompanies the reappearance of a certain person, situation, abstract idea, or allusion in the course of the play; a sort of musical label. -- Leading note Mus., the seventh note or tone in the ascending major scale; the sensible note. -- Leading question, a question so framed as to guide the person questioned in making his reply. -- Leading strings, strings by which children are supported when beginning to walk. -- To be in leading strings, to be in a state of infancy or dependence, or under the guidance of others. -- Leading wheel, a wheel situated before the driving wheels of a locomotive engine.

 

© Webster 1913.


Lead"ing, n.

1.

The act of guiding, directing, governing, or enticing; guidance.

Shak.

2.

Suggestion; hint; example.

[Archaic]

Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.