Leiden University is the university in Leiden, a town near Amsterdam, The Netherlands. It's famous for the physicists it spawned in the last 2 centuries, such as Lorentz, Ehrenfest, Kamerlingh Onnes.

Foundation
Leiden University was founded in 1575, as an unexpected gift to the city. In 1574, Prince William of Orange took the first steps towards establishing the university, when he wrote a letter to the States of Holland. In this letter he proposed that as a reward for the town’s brave resistance against the Spanish invaders a university be founded which would serve as ‘a staunch support and maintenance of the freedom and good lawful government of the country’. On February 8, 1575, the university was founded, and later was granted the motto Praesidium Libertatis, or Bastion of Liberty.

Faculties
Leiden University is a traditional university. It has eight faculties, which together offer about 60 regular degree studies.
The faculties are, in alphabetical order:

Faculty of Archaeology,
Faculty of Arts and Letters,
Faculty of Law,
Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences,
Faculty of Medicine,
Faculty of Philosophy,
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences,
Faculty of Theology.

The University has a Science Park for the faculties of Medicine, Mathematics and Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences. The other faculties and the university libraries are spread throughout town.
Leiden university was home to the philosophers Rene Descartes and Baruch Spinoza for several years. During this period, it had a reasonably liberal and tolerant attitude to those philosophers who would otherwise have gotten into trouble for their opinions concerning God.

Nowadays, it is a little more traditional...

One other famous previous student is the fictional character Lemuel Gulliver, 'author' of Gulliver's Travels.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.