Classic movie and song from 1975, Let's Do It Again features a really good cast. It is definitely aimed at a black market, and I don't know if people who aren't American blacks would have the same level of appreciation for it (Not unlike Cooley High.) The film co-starred Bill Cosby and Sidney Poitier, and was directed by Poitier as well. It was the second of a trio of movies the two worked on during the mid seventies, following Uptown Saturday Night and preceeding A Piece of the Action.

Among the great cast was Calvin Lockhart, as a hoodlum named Biggie Smalls, John Amos and Jimmie Walker taking a break from Good Times to portray Kansas City Mack and Bootney Farnsworth, respectively, and Ossie Davis as Elder Johnson. Hey, it even has a cameo by George Foreman, though it doesn't have any prominent grilling scenes.

Cosby and Poitier play Billy Foster and Clyde Williams, a couple of hard working guys from the ATL who have promised to raise funds for The Brothers and Sisters of Shaka, their social club. Their scheme is to go to New Orleans and rig a fight between the champ and shoe-in, 40th Street Black, and Bootney Farnsworth, a cat for whom the word scrawny appears to have been invented.

Fortunately for our intrepid heroes, Clyde is an accomplished hypnotist and convinces Farnsworth that he is a Tiger, fixing the fight after they had bet heavily on Farnsworth. The bookie naturally is more than a bit suspicious, and the movie mostly covers the ensuing hijinks.

The song is by The Staple Singers, and typical for what they were doing in the early to mid seventies, features an absolutely irresistable groove, this time written by Curtis Mayfield, but played, as usual, by Pops Staples.

ad lib intro

Sometimes the rain
Groovin' when I hear the sound
Like you and me, baby
Gettin' down with the sounds around
Oh, the smell of the mornin' flower
As we pass away the hours

I wanna do it again, do it again
Do it (Do it)

Let's do it in the mornin'
Sweet breeze in the summertime
Feeling your sweet face
All laid up next to mine
Sweet love in the midnight
Good sleep, come mornin' light
No worries 'bout nothin'
Just gettin' good, just gettin' good
Just gettin' good love

Do it, do it again
Do it again (Do it)
Do it

Now I like you, lady
So fine with your pretty hair
If you don't mind my compliments
Just diggin' on the clothes you wear
I'm just a man now don't you fear
I can love you now I brought you here

ad lib midtro ??
Like a hammer on a block
Love began to rock
Give the sister love and pride
Feel good and satisfied
I'm not a girl that could linger
But I feel like a Butterfinger

I wanna do it again, do it again
Do it, do it

Let's do it in the mornin'
Sweet breeze in the summer time
Feeling your sweet face
All laid up next to mine

Sweet love in the midnight
Good sleep, come mornin' light
No worries 'bout nothin'
Just gettin' good, just gettin' good
Just gettin' good love

ad lib outro

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.