In the last couple of years, the government has taught me quite a few things about morals. According to the news, lying is now expected, infidelity accepted, and the people in power play by different rules than the people they supposedly represent.

Bill Clinton commits perjury, an offense that would put you or me in jail, and he walks away with a slap on the wrist. So much for the ideal President, the person who is supposed to promote and uphold the Constitution to its highest level, and set an example for every hard working, patriotic American.

The government has also told me that I am responsible enough to fire a machine gun and murder some unimportant enemy, but that I cannot safely drink alcohol. I am twenty years old, which means I can drive a two-ton automobile, vote for government officials, purchase pornography and be tried for murder as an adult.

Once a person reaches the age of eighteen, the court system declares that he is old enough to comprehend every decision he makes, and should therefore take the same responsibility for his mistakes as a 50-year-old. This is interesting, for I am mature enough to consciously commit murder, but not mature enough to drink a beer, either in excess or just with dinner.

College students are notorious for drinking, and a lot of the fascination comes from being under 21, and therefore being where they legally cannot be. This is not to say that we do not enjoy the drug that helps white guys dance better, girls look better and little things seem funnier. But at the same time, I experience a nervous rush whenever I buy alcohol or get into a bar.

The government, and the rich companies that essentially control it, do not understand that kids 18 to 21-years-old will drink, regardless of the law. How could any of us actually see a reason not to, being that we could die for our country, but we can't enjoy a hard drink at night? Except for the minimum age allowed to rent a car (at most, non-ghetto agencies), the drinking age is the next oldest restriction.

A couple of months ago I was at Yankee Doodle, a sports bar on the Promenade, with my father. We went in to play pool and watch the basketball games, and I accidentally gave the bartender my fake ID in exchange for the pool balls. No big deal, I thought. After all, I was drinking a Pepsi and playing pool with my Dad, how much harm could that cause?

But the bartender came up to me, told me my ID was fake, threatened to call the cops and have me arrested, reminded me that using a fake ID was a felony, and criticized my father as a parent. This all came from some 25-year-old gym junkie and fraternity boy looking hot shot. The fact that he would actually insult not only me, but also my father, is almost inconceivable to me. However, it also showed me how corrupt the government really is.

Wealthy companies and old, white collared businessmen donate so much money to the different political parties that they practically run them.

Just look at some of the recent actions by Mr. Bush, and you'll know what I'm talking about. It's these people who do not want the drinking age lowered, because they think that the younger generation will go crazy and create chaos.

In they're opinion, why wouldn't they want the drinking age higher? It makes it that much harder for "minors" to obtain possession of such a "dangerous" drug. However, I am insulted being considered a minor, when I am old enough to do all the things I've already mentioned.

The only political party that wanted the drinking age to be lowered was the Green party, but they were obviously not important in the eyes of the Republicans and Democrats. Although Ralph Nader received 3 percent of the overall vote, and gathered a huge following in the process, the wealthy "kings" of the government do not want a third party distracting their own personal concerns. We're supposed to live in a democracy, but how democratic is it to exclude a popular political party from the Presidential debates? It's unfortunate that money rules the world.

Some people may think that apologies are useless and as a result unacceptable because they may think that no one is sincere in saying "I'm sorry." It's this ignorance and hostility that creates problems for our society.

It's a known fact that people are imperfect. If I weren't forgiven for the numerous errors I've made in life, I'd be the loneliest person known to man. Kids are shooting classmates, hostilities are being taken to new levels and aggression is being promoted. However, the general public is too complacent to try and make a change.

The American Dream is of a perfect society, and as the future generation of America the government and people need to change.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.