A small farming community located in Central Illinois. At one point in history its big draws were the railroad and Route 66. Currently, however, Lexington is known for its High School athletics (especially football), the High School's Math Team, and the large number of people who commute to Bloomington/Normal, IL. Most of these commuters work at State Farm Insurance's Corporate Headquarters. The city sits on Interstate 55 about two hours southwest of Chicago and three hours northeast of St. Louis.

The town has no traffic signals, but does have a self-contained school district. Each grade (K - 12) are housed in one large building. Most graduates of Lexington High School go on to attend Heartland Community College or Illinois State University. The cool thing to do is to hang out in various parking lots in the downtown area. The Park District maintains a nice set of facilities including a pool, several baseball/softball diamonds, and a few parks.

Other nearby towns include Gridley, Chenoa (the school's biggest rival in any kind of contest), El Paso, Bloomington, Normal, and Towanda.

Despite the fact that Lexington shares in the faults that many small towns experience, it's a pretty good place to grow up or raise kids.



Location: 40.64377 N, 88.78267 W
Population (1990): 1809 (722 housing units)
Area: 2.2 sq km (land), 0.0 sq km (water)
Zip code(s): 61753
Area Code: 309
Phone Prefix: 365
Information from the US Census Bureau via dictionary.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.