Lifetime began its life on February 1, 1984 with the merging of Daytime and the Cable Health Network. Daytime, originally a Hearst/ABC operation, started in 1982 and provided alternative programming for women four hours each weekday. The Cable Health Network was a Viacom effort also begun in 1982, showing programs on health, fitness, science, and medicine 24 hours a day. Ten years later, in 1994, Viacom sold its share of the channel to Hearst/ABC (now The Walt Disney Company); that same year the nickname "Television for Women" was added and the channel began to generate its own programming. In July 1998, the Lifetime Movie Network was launched to provide 24-hour movies (most made for TV); a Lifetime Real Women channel airs stories of real women, typically the courageous or suffering sort. Lifetime has also been known to partner with and support non-profit organizations, including the Susan G. Komen Foundation, National Women's Political Caucus, and Women in Cable and Telecommunications. In 1996, the network received a Golden Cable ACE Award for its efforts in the fight against breast cancer. The company's corporate headquarters are in New York City, and the studios, located in Queens, are one of that city's largest television production facilities.

Source: http://www.lifetimetv.com/about/index.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.