A romantic novel by Laura Esquivel about Tita, a young woman living in Mexico.
Tita is the youngest daughter in her family and therefore is destined to take care of her mother, Mama Elena, until Mama Elena dies.
Tita, however falls in love with Pedro, but can not marry him because of the tradition.
Pedro, instead, marrys Tita's older sister, Rosaura, so that he and Tita will be close to each other.
Eventually Pedro and Tita have a child and Mama Elena sends them off to Texas because she sees Tita getting close to Pedro, which she has forbade.
The child unfortuantly dies and Tita blames the death on Mama Elena. They fight and Tita runs up to their dove cove and refuses to come down.
Mama Elena calls upon Dr. John Brown to get Tita and send her away to a mental hospital. However, John takes Tita to his house, away from her mother, and tries to help her.
John falls in love with Tita and asks for Tita's hand in marriage.
Mama Elena is badly beaten from a raid from revolutionaries and is left paralyzed.
Tita comes back home to care for her but Mama Elane refuses to eat anything because she feels that Tita is trying to poisen her so that she will die and Tita will be free and she eventually dies..
Rosaura dies leaving Pedro and Tita able to express their love. John leaves the house with out marrying Tita.
They both die in a fire created by their intense love.

It is an interesting book but better when read in Spanish.
Like Water for Chocolate is also the name of the latest album by rapper Common. In The Breaks Issue 3, Common had this to say to interviewer Combustible the Poet:
"Actually the album is named after a movie of the same title. In the movie the main character was a really good cook. She would always be cooking for people. Whenever she would cook, she would really put a lot of emotion into it. So when people would eat her cooking, they were able to feel the same emotions she felt while cooking it. You feel me? So this is the same thing. I put all my heart, my mind and my rawness into these tracks. So I hope that people can feel that when they listen to the album.”
Now whether his reason for naming his album this way are founded or not (I don’t know, I’ve never read the book), he has good intentions. This album is Common’s most mainstream to date, perhaps because it was released on MCA, not Relativity as his past work had been.
  1. Time Travelin’ (A Tribute to Fela)
  2. Heat
  3. Cold Blooded
  4. Dooinit
  5. The Light
  6. Funky For You
  7. The Questions
  8. Time Travelin’ Reprise
  9. The 6th Sense
  10. A Film Called (Pimp)
  11. Nag Champa (Afrodesiac For The World)
  12. Thelonius
  13. Payback Is A Grandmother
  14. Ghetto Heaven Part Two
  15. A Song For Assata
  16. Pops Rap III...All My Children

Executive Producer: Ahmir “?uestlove” Thompson
Co-Executive Producers: Common & Derek D.

The phrase "like water for chocolate" comes from the Spanish "como agua para chocolate." This phrase is a common expression in Spanish speaking countries and was the inspiration for Laura Esquivel's novel title (the name has a double-meaning).

In Latin American countries, such as Mexico, hot chocolate is made not with milk, but with water instead. Water is boiled and chunks of milk chocolate are dropped in to melt. When someone is "like water for chocolate," it's comparable to saying "they're at the boiling point," because that's the point water has to be at to make the hot chocolate.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.