History

Steeped in the brief history of Limoncello, Limoncello di Capri has played a critical role in the beverages founding and development, and has been rewarded with success in this growing field of liquors.

Created in the late 1800s by Vincenza Canale, to give to guests at his inn as a digestive, Limoncello quickly became popular due to its intense lemon aroma and taste, while avoiding the sourness that is typical of lemon drinks.

From the beginning, Limoncello created by the family has been of the highest quality possible, using the freshest and largest lemons from Sorrento, which both then and today have been farmed organically, never coming in contact with pesticides or artificial fertilizer.

Once picked, only the rinds are used, which are then washed in water and left to steep in a combination of water, sugar and grain alcohol. It is after the carefully monitored steeping period is completed that the product can be called Limoncello di Capri.

It was not until 1988 that the family of the founder of the drink trademarked the name Limoncello, and sought an order to ensure that Limoncello can only be called Limoncello when the lemons had been sourced from Sorrento.

By this stage, the family had began producing its own brand of Limoncello - Limoncello di Capri.

Due to the family's care in producing the product, following traditional recipes and methods, the brand has become the distinctive Limoncello, used as an example of the entire category and is enjoyed by millions around the world.

Today, Limoncello di Capri has become the leading Limoncello worldwide, becoming the definitive example of this very Italian drink. Every year, over 12 000 tons of lemons are used in Limoncello di Capri's production.

References

http://www.limoncello.com/

http://tasteofsorrento.sorrentoinfo.com/articoli/sorrento_limoncello.asp

http://www.lifeinitaly.com/wines/limoncello.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limoncello

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.