In a second letter to John Stuart Lincoln addresses matters of mutual concern. It is interesting to note the P.S. in which Mr. Lincoln casually dismisses Stephen Douglas, the "Democratic giant", as a minor threat.


Springfield, December 23, 1839                    

Dear Stuart:

Dr. Henry will write you all the political news. I write this about some little matters of business. You recollect you told me you had drawn the Chicago Musick money & sent it to the claimants. A damned hawk-billed Yankee is here, besetting me at every turn I take, saying that Robert Kinzie never received the $80.00 to which he was entitled. Can you tell anything about the matter?

Again Old Mr. Wright, who lives up South Fork somewhere, is teasing me continually about some deeds which he says he left with you, but which I can find nothing of. Can you tell where they are?

The legislature is in session, and has suffered the Bank to forfeit its charter without benefit of clergy. There seems to be but very little disposition to resuscitate it. Whenever a letter comes from you to Mrs. Stuart, I carry it to her, and then I see Betty. She is a tolerably nice fellow now. Maybe I will write again when I get more time. Your friend as ever

A. Lincoln                 

P.S. The Democratic giant is here; but he is not now worth talking about.       A.L.


This document is a copy of the unedited text of a written work by Abraham Lincoln. Some typographical errors which were present in the original text appear here as well. This document was copied in its entirety from The Living Lincoln, edited by Paul M. Angle and Earl Schenck Miers, published by Marboro Books Corp.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.