Lisa Lopes, one-third of the all-female hip-hop group TLC, died in a car accident on April 26, 2002 in Roma, Honduras. She is said to have been driving the vehicle, a rented Mitsubishi. Lopes was attempting to pass a car in front of her, and when a truck from the oncoming traffic came, she swerved off the road, hitting two trucks. The vehicle then rolled several times. She is the only one of the seven people in the vehicle who died. Others in the car included her sister, Raina, and her brother, Ronald. Three members of the R&B group Egypt and two video producers were also in the car.


Lisa Nicole Lopes was born on May 27, 1971 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was born to Ronald E. and Wanda D. Lopes. Her father was involved in music, playing many different instruments, such as the piano, clarinet, among others. Her father was also in the army, forcing the family to move many times during her childhood. While in high school, she performed in school plays and performances.

In 1990, while still a teen, she moved to Atlanta. While there, she met with Tionne Watkins and Rozonda Thomas. They both would later be known as "T-Boz" and "Chilli." The three of them collaborated and formed an all-female trio known as "TLC." The letters stood for "T-Boz," "Left-Eye," and "Chilli," the nicknames of the three girls. The group's first album was called Oooooooh... On the TLC Tip. The album was an immediate success, bringing the group to national stardom. The album had three top-10 releases. The group's second album was titled Crazysexycool which won two Grammies. The album featured three number 1 singles, most notably the hit single Waterfalls. The album did sell more than 11 million albums.

The group TLC was doing fine in 1994, but Lopes was having trouble with then boyfriend, Andre Rison, a former player for the Atlanta Falcons. In 1994, she was convicted of burning down his Atlanta mansion. She paid no jail time, but was put up to probation for five years. To add insult to injury, TLC faced heavy debts and declared bankruptcy in 1995.

In 1999, the group resurfaced with the multi-platinum album titled Fanmail. The album also won two Grammies. In 2000, she embarked on a solo career, recording her own album appropriately titled Supernova. The album showcased Lopes' rapping ability. The album was heard on an internet-only broadcast in 2000. The album is still in the making and will never be completely finished by Lopes, as she is no longer with us. TLC was also in the process of a fourth album, but unfortunately, that too had to be finished without Lopes.


Sources: tlcfanmail.com,biography.com, & click2music.co.za

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.