Litha (a.k.a. the Midsummer, Vestalia, Gathering Day, Feill-Sheathain, et cetera)

(Summer Solstice--on or around June 21)

Litha is a Pagan Sabbat: a holiday celebrated by Wiccans, Witches and many others whose religions fall under the umbrella of Earth spirituality and Paganism. It glorifies the Sun and the male aspect of nature.


Litha lore:

The God and the Goddess are in Their prime, at Their highest power. This is the longest day of the year and the shortest night. The Goddess is pregnant. After this day, the light begins to wane until the Winter Solstice.


Litha sentiments:

The focus of this holiday is again on fertility but also on strength and focus. Plans made at Imbolc, put into motion at Ostara, and encouraged at Beltane should now be in fruition. It is a time to give thanks for the gifts and for our health. After this day things will change somewhat, waning again, and this must be prepared for. This is a celebration of work AND of pleasurable activities. It is also a good time for a dedication rite or a re-affirmation spell.


Litha practices:

On Litha, we celebrate the power of the Sun and play outside as much as possible, taking pleasure in Nature as a child would. Summertime flowers can be collected and used to adorn the altar, the home, and the body. Many people like to make love charms at this time and also cast love-related spells and any other kinds of magick, since this is the highest power of the God and Goddess and therefore there is quite a bit of energy to harness. Some people believe the elves and faeries are afoot and leave out food for them. Some like to cook potpourri made of flowers. One custom is to make one yellow feather wreath and one red feather wreath and tie them together with ivy.


The Litha season:

Some Litha Recipes:

Check out other Sabbats:

Lughnasadh¤Mabon¤Samhain¤Yule¤Imbolc¤Ostara¤Beltane

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.