A comic strip (ahem) in Playboy magazine. It was created in 1962 by Harvey Kurtzman, the founding editor of Mad Magazine. Kurtzman had been contributing cartoons to Playboy for several years, and the magazine had even proclaimed him one of the hippest cartoonists around back in 1957.

When "Little Annie Fanny" made its debut in the October 1962 issue, it was the first fully-painted feature in American comics -- every single panel was a detailed painting of the action. The strip, which was an obvious parody of "Little Orphan Annie," starred Annie, a buxom, slightly ditzy blonde who spent most of her comics appearances in various stages of undress. Supporting characters included Sugardaddy Bigbucks and his mysterious assistant, the Wasp, as well as Wanda Homefree, Ruthie the roommate, Ralphie Towser, Portnoy Alexander, Benton Battbarton, and Solly Brass. Most of the "stories" were spoofs of pop culture, advertising, politics, and all the stuff that Kurtzman had been spoofing back when he was at Mad, only now with a whole lot more boobies.

Doing a fully-painted comic strip is very difficult work -- most people who do painted comics have to take a long time to put them together, and it's almost impossible to do a monthly painted strip all by yourself. So Kurtzman hired a number of assistants over the years to help lighten the load a bit. Many of those assistants were former Mad artists, including Will Elder, Jack Davis, Russ Heath, Al Jaffee, and others.

The strip, which ran every single month at first, cut back to occasional issues during the 1970s. Playboy cancelled the feature in 1988, with over 100 episodes in the bank. Kurtzman died in 1993, but the older cartoons had always been popular as reprints, so Playboy brought "Little Annie Fanny" back in 1998 with artwork by Ray Lago and Bill Schorr.

Research from http://www.toonopedia.com/anniefan.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.