You wanted the best...
Well they didn't fucking make it...
So here's what you'll get...
From Hollywood... Guns n' Roses

An unusual opening for a live album, but the band makes sure they live up to the intro.
The album I'm talking about is Live Era '87-'93 by Guns n' Roses, which was released as a double-disc set near the end of 1999. "Recorded across the universe between 1987 and 1993" is what the booklet tells us about where the album was recorded, but Geffen Records, Gn'R's record label, have stated that the tracks were recorded in London, Paris, Las Vegas, New York, Budokan, Mexico City and Tokyo.

The huge sticker on the front of the album informs you that you are holding the best of Guns n' Roses. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Yes, their greatest hits are all on there, but for most of the songs, these are not the best performances. The studio versions are far superior to almost all the live versions, simply because Axl's voice never was as good on stage as in the studio. Also, the songs were recorded over a seven-year span, and in different locations. Because of this, the album doesn't sound like a real live show. The feeling of a solid show is missing. This is probably because the pause between songs is too long. They can mix all the audience noises in they want, but it still doesn't sound like a genuine full show.

The balance of songs on the two discs is nice, as both discs have their share of hits. The songs included are tracks from all three GnR studio albums, Appetite for Destruction, Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II, and a few from the Gn'R Lies EP. The only song that most fans will miss is the ten minute epic "Coma". The song was included on the Japanese version, apparently.

One last thing that bugged me was the this: In the booklet, Matt Sorum is listed as an additional musician. That's a shame, since he played drums on most of their hits, and probably on most of the live album too.
The booklet itself isn't that good either. No lyrics, no information. Just a bunch of photos, mostly of Axl and Slash, and posters for the shows they played over the years.

The band:
W. Axl Rose
Slash
Duff McKagen
Dizzy Reed
Izzy Stradlin
Steven "Popcorn" Adler

Additional musicians:
Matt Sorum
Gilby Clarke

Tracklisting:
Disc 1:

  1. Nightrain
  2. Mr. Brownstone
  3. It's So Easy
  4. Welcome to the Jungle
  5. Dust n' Bones
  6. My Michelle
  7. You're Crazy
  8. Used to Love Her
  9. Patience
  10. It's Alright
  11. November Rain

Disc 2:

  1. Out ta Get Me
  2. Pretty Tied Up
  3. Yesterdays
  4. Move to the City
  5. You Could Be Mine
  6. Rocket Queen
  7. Sweet Child o' Mine
  8. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
  9. Don't Cry
  10. Estranged
  11. Paradise City

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.