For the British, the black horse prancing on a green and black background is immediately familiar. Lloyds TSB is the result of the merging of two companies: Lloyds and TSB.

Lloyds Bank

Lloyds Bank was pseudo-setup in Birmingham, England, in 1765 by John Taylor and and Sampson Lloyd as a private bank. Their sons also founded a bank, named 'Barnetts Hoares Hanbury and Lloyd'. The two banks later merged into the Lloyds Banking Company.

Lloyds continued to expand and merge with other companies, by the 1920s it had made approximately 50 take overs. Lloyds expanded into Europe in 1911 with the acquisition of the French company Armstrong and Co. This resulted in the company Lloyds (France) which eventually became Lloyds Bank Europe.

Lloyds didn't stop with Europe, they also expanded into South America with the eventual merger of their London Bank with the Brazilian Bank to create the Bank of London and South America(BOLSA). In 1971 Lloyds Bank Europe and BOLSA was merged into Lloyds Bank International, which was subsequently merged into Lloyds Bank in 1986.

Cheltenham & Gloucester became part of Lloyds in 1995 followed by TSB Group forming Lloyds TSB Group plc.

TSB

In the early 19th century there were hundreds of savings banks, the Trustee Savings Bank association was established in 1887 to provide assistance and advice to the banks on how to co-operate.

The Central Trustee Savings Bank came into being in 1973; it provided savings banks with a clearing service. The 80s provided massive growth, and name changes. By 1989 the TSB England and Wales became TSB Bank plc. This later merged with Lloyds.

The black horse in the logo: this is Cancara, a 26 year old Trakehner stallion. The logo actually dates back to the late 19th Century, but Cancara is the current 'mascot'

Source:
http://www.lloydstsb.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.