Definition:

A sequence of functions fn : S → X, where (X, d) is a metric space, is said to converge locally uniformly to f if for any x ∈ S there is a neighbourhood U of x such that fn|U converges uniformly to f|U.


Here f|U denotes the restriction of f to U, i.e. the function f|U : U → X given by f|U(x) = f(x) for x ∈ U. When it is clear from the context that we mean the restriction we often do not bother to write out the |U though.

Locally uniform convergence is handy, since even though we might not quite have uniform convergence the limit function f will still have nice properties guaranteed by uniform convergence. As an example we can prove a simple result on continuity of limits, and the same reasoning can be used to show that other local properties of uniform limits also hold for locally uniform limits.

Proposition:

If fn : S → X are continuous and converge locally uniformly to f then f is continuous.

Proof:

For any x ∈ S there is a neighbourhood U of x such that f converges uniformly to f on U. So on U f is a uniform limit of continuous functions and therefore f is continuous on U. In particular f is continuous at x.
Hence f is continuous at all x ∈ S, so f is continuous.


A particularly important example of locally uniform convergence is that any complex power series converges locally uniformly within its radius of convergence.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.