The connection oriented networking protocols, like ATM, network connection setup protocols (UNI/NNI Signaling) assume that end points of a connection are fixed terminals. This makes it difficult to use such protocols transparently under wireless environments (read WATM).

In order to trace and find a mobile terminal position, we need additional addressing schemes and protocols along with some modifications to the connection setup process. Such a scheme is known as the Location Management.

There are no set standards yet for the WATM Location Management and therefore a lot of different ways are suggested. One of the more accepted schemes has following approach:

  • Each MT (mobile terminal) has a 'Home Base Station' statically bound with it. On bootup, the MT registers with its Home Base Station.
  • The Home Base Station maintains a Forwarding Table for each MT registered with it. It maintains the address of the MT and its current location.
  • Everytime an MT hands off, it updates this Forwarding table.
  • Every future request to reach the moved MT is made to its Home Base Station, which forewards this request based on the entries in the Forwarding Table.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.