Stolen vehicle recovery system. Consisting of a small, silent transmitter installed in a hidden place in a vehicle allowing the police to track it, LoJack is activated by police when the vehicle is reported stolen. Not intended to act as a theft-deterrant, the LoJack system is not advertised on the vehicle itself, instead lying in wait for a signal to activate the tracking device. The focus here is recovery, not prevention.
LoJack is an excellent form of security, and in fact, will often lower your insurance premium (it lowered mine enough to pay for itself in two years). About the size of a deck of cards, it can be installed in 20-30 different locations in a vehicle, making disabling the system a chore - assuming the thief even knows about it.
Once a car with LoJack is reported stolen, the police activate the transmitter, which will locate the vehicle anywhere within range of an active receiver. Police departments all over the United States have invested in these recovery systems, so even if your car is taken out of the state, it can still be recovered. Most vehicles with LoJack installed are recovered within 24 hours of activation of the LoJack recovery system. LoJack is so sure of their product, they even have insurance underwritten by Lloyd's of London to pay (in part) for the replacement of your car if it is not recovered.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.