Looking for Alibrandi is an australian novel, - and now a movie - written by Melina Marchetta an author of a lot of popular Australian modern young adult literature. Published by Puffin in 1992, it is the winner of multiple awards, and has fast become a classic must-read for young adults. However as a book originating from and based on much Australian culture it's popularity remains mainly local.

The Blurb:
"And what's this about you and your friends driving around Bondi Junction half-dressed last week?"
"Who told you that?"
"Signora Formosa saw you. she said you and your friends almost ran her over. She rang Zia Patrizia's next-door neighbour and it got back to Nonna."
Telecom would go broke if it weren't for the Italians.
Josphine Alibrandi is seventeen, illegitimate, and in her final year at a wealthy Catholic school. This is the year her father comes back into her life, the year she falls in love, the year she discovers the secrets of her family's past and the year she sets herself free.
I'll run one day. Run for my life. To be free and think for myself. Not as an Australian and not as an Italian and not as an in between. I'll run to be emancipated.

Like many books, this is one that deals with the life of a teenager, and other exciting youth issues, foremost among them teen angst. Fortunately unlike much other shitty teen angst literature where every second sentence bemoans the woes of the universe, Looking for Alibrandi actually offers a relatively stimulating and thought provoking book. By no means a Pulitzer Prize winner, but definitely clear of the massive sub-genre of shitty bitchy pointless bleak literature for halfwit teenagers. You might have noticed I hate media about teen angst. Kick it to the curb girlfriend!.

Taking that into consideration, and the fact that I still rate this book as above average the book must be doing something right. It actually makes reading about teen issues bearable - even enjoyable! This defies the fundamental laws of my universe. In my memory it is one of the most notable and distinguishing things about the book.

It follows the exploits of Josephine Alibrandi, an illegitimate child, as a schoolgirl in her last few months of high school. Issues such as identity, peer and parent relationships, single parent families, friendship, depression, sexuality and all sorts of other exiting things are addressed.

I suppose in a very very loose way you could liken it to The Catcher in the Rye. Please don't hurt me

It also classifies as one of those books that teachers make you read for literature tasks.

Looking for Alibrandi is allegedly the most frequently stolen book from Australian high school libraries.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.