I was just reading the life is too short for women with issues and men with issues nodes ... kind of sad, really.

I mean, COME ON ... does anybody really think that they are well-balanced, especially in a romantic context? Everyone has their issues, ranging from problems with trusting other people, past history of whatever that has scarred or changed the way they see relationships/people of the opposite sex/same sex/love/whatever, insecurity, even just weird little things that bug me. Those are ALL issues and they make all relationships more of a challenge.

But the thing is, you can't avoid them. Even a person who has had no romantic contact has issues - maybe that person isinsecure because of lack of experience, maybe he or she is stuck up and thinks that "nobody is good enough for me".

So, life is too short for people with issues, huh? Well, we've all got them.

I know I have them. I'm a pain in the ass to date, from insecurities about my weight and appearance to my sexuality to my weird little quirks (I'm a phone call counter) ... and everyone else is, too.

I think that, instead of looking for someone without emotional baggage, I'm just looking for someone with managable baggage - someone whose baggage goes with mine.

Line from Jonathan Larson's RENT (1996 Tony Award and Pulitzer winner). Sung by Mimi Marquez (a nightclub dancer with a smack problem, as well as AIDS), to Roger Davis (a classic starving musician who's HIV+ and looking to write one last song before the lights go out).

The actual line comes from the song "I should tell you" and goes thusly:
Roger:"I've been trying, I'm not lying, no one's perfect, I've got baggage-"
Mimi:Life's too short, babe, time is flying, I'm looking for baggage that goes with mine."

In the Original Cast Recording album, Mimi and Roger are voiced by Daphne Rubin-Vega and Adam Pascal, respectively.
Works cited:
the RENT homepage at siteforrent.com
the internet movie database at imdb.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.