Also referred to as the Metro Redline, the Los Angeles subway line consists of 15 stations and covers an area from Downtown Los Angeles to the San Fernando Valley, with stops in Hollywood and the Mid-wilshire area. Part of a larger rail network that includes the Light Railsystems known as the Blueline (Long Beach to Downtown L.A.) and Greenline (Norwalk to LAX with stops in Rendondo Beach), the Redline debuted in 1995; the Hollywood extension opened in 1999 and the North Hollywood (San Fernando Valley) extension opened in Summer 2000.

The Metro Red Line will be seeing an extension. Due to resident outcry, and mass support, including YIMBYism, the line will be extended down Wilshire Boulevard, out to Santa Monica. The line was originally to continue out to the "sea", but was thwarted by an explosion during construction of the existing portion at a Dress for Less store.

Newly elected Mayor Antonio Villagrosa has made the subway one of his top priorties, and may be one of the reasons he won the election. There are also brewing rumors that the line will be extended into the San Fernando Valley, following the path of the current Orange Line busway out in the valley. Even with the most optimistic scenarios, the extension would open in 2012 at the earliest.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.