My academic advisor told me to do this the last time my roommate had a manic episode. She's had four. I've taken care of her all four times. She is my best friend. If I was a man, I'd have married her by now.

My roommate is a bipolar manic depressive. Her manic episodes (four, so far) are quite scary. During these episodes, she doesn't sleep, her eyes are vacant when she speaks, she gets lost in parking lots, lies on the floor in restaurants, and goes off with anyone who offers her some weed. The first time, none of her friends knew what was going on...we let it go to the point where she was picked up by the police placed in a mental institution against her will. Her parents had to fly all the way from Australia just to sign her out.

It is hard when this happens, bacause her family is so far away. I can't tell you the stress involved in keeping her in check so she does not get in trouble. It places a strain on my work both at my part time job and at school.

And my advisor says, "lose the roommate."

How can I?

She is my best friend. And my family. When she is not in that state (which is most of the time), she is always there for me. No one else would be there to do what is needed to be done. And I know she'd do the same for me if the situation was reversed.

I can't just "lose the roommate." I love her too much.
Have you ever seen the movie Clerks? I beleive it was the academic advisors that look for the perfect dozen eggs at the quickie mart. This shows you how much academic advisors know about life. For there is obviously no perfect dozen. In man's ever increasing ability to get something out of what might not be there, I've always seen this as Kevin Smith's way of telling us that the persuit of perfection is only taken on by those that have not yet realized their purpose in life(thus the academic advisor).

To get to my point. Sometimes a friendship requires a little give and take. You take away the concept of true friendship and what you give is a peice of your time, your sanity, or your liver(just a little humor, ok).

Why was it so hard for your academic advisor to see this? Because he/she could not see past the me me me syndrome of modern living. God forbid you take a peice of your time to help someone else, even if the return is at a loss for you.

So, don't lose the roomate, embrace the opportunity to help someone less fortunate than you, and in return accept the friendship she offers, its the concept of Tsedaka.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.