Louis Sachar (rhymes with "cracker") was born in East Meadow, New York, in 1954. Some time later he went to the University of California at Berkeley, graduating in 1976 with a degree in economics, of all things. He spent the next year working in a sweater factory by day and writing Sideway Stories from Wayside School by night. When the sweater factory fired him, he enrolled in Hastings College of Law in San Francisco.

Sideways Stories was accepted for publication during his first week of law school. Although Sachar graduated and passed the bar exam, he decided to quit law and be a full-time writer for kids.

Sachar never talks about a book until it's done, not even to his wife or daughter. "The more you talk about something, the less you tend to do it. By not permitting myself to talk about Holes, I was forced to write it. The story was growing inside me for a year and a half, and I had no other way to let it out." Holes won the 1999 Newbery, and it should have.

Sachar lives in Austin, Texas. His dogs are named Lucky and Tippi. In his spare time, he likes to play bridge and tennis, and sing loud.


Books:


The Boy Who Lost his Face

Dogs Don't Tell Jokes

A Flying Birthday Cake?

Holes

Johnny's in the Basement

Marvin Redpost: Alone In His Teacher's House

Marvin Redpost: Class President

Marvin Redpost: Is He a Girl?

Marvin Redpost: Kidnapped at Birth

Marvin Redpost: Super Fast, Out of Control

Marvin Redpost: Why Pick on Me?

More Sideways Arithmetic From Wayside School

Sideways Arithmetic From Wayside School

Sideways Stories From Wayside School

Sixth Grade Secrets

Someday Angeline

There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom!

Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger

Wayside School Is Falling Down


Information, but not wording, gleaned from
http://www.cbcbooks.org/columns/archives/sachar.htm
and of course
www.amazon.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.