Album: Lover's Acid
Artist: Luke Vibert
Label: Planet Mu Records
Released: 2005-04-04
Summary: Upbeat and loud acid house with the occasional Aphex Twin style tangent.

This surprisingly coherent album is a compilation of the three 12" EPs '95-'99, Homewerk, and Lover's Acid, all reordered and fit onto a single CD.

The music is upbeat and loud; if it stuck to simple 4/4 rhythms with less fancy sequencing, it would be a perfect mindless floor filler for clubs, but it's more intelligent than that, occasionally getting sidetracked by Aphex Twin style tangents.

This album isn't particularly accessible. The first few times I listened to it, I wanted to like it a lot more than I did. It is growing on me, though. If you're going to judge whether or not to get the album based on just one track, I'd recommend giving Acid 2000 a listen. It's probably the easiest track on the album to get into.

Lover's Acid is a bit cheesy in places, but judging by the vocal sample "Can you imagine where you will be in the year two thousand?" I think it's safe to assume that Luke Vibert is being satirical in his use of the occasional cliche - a wise move considering that the music is probably better off with them included.

The star of this series is undoubtedly the distorted Roland TB-303, although the suitably tough drums and accompanying breakbeats come in a close second. The fact that a lot of the percussion sounds like it was performed on something other than Roland drum machines is pretty refreshing.

If you hate TB-303 acid lines, don't even bother looking at this. If you love them, though, it's probably worth checking out Lover's Acid as it does provide a refreshingly original perspective on acid house - quite a feat considering how long the genre has been going.

If you're into acid house or IDM, you might love this, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.