The part of a drum that attaches the head to the shell. You tighten or loosen all the lugs in order to tune the drum, or to change the head if you've broken it. Yes, even things like snare drums and marching snares have pitch, though it's hard for a non-musician to hear. Lugs on manufactured percussion instruments are turned with a drum key.

1. One who has a strong back and a weak mind; a thief whose assignments are of the strong-arm catiety; a clumsy, inept thief. 2. An automatic pistol of German Luger manufacture. 3. To eject forcibly.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950

LUG is an acronym for LEGO User Group. There are many LUGs around the world. At the time of this writing, there are 38 generally known as follows:

LUGs are related to, but more general than LTCs.

Lug (?), n. [Sw. lugg the forelock.]

1.

The ear, or its lobe.

[Scot. & Prov. Eng.]

2.

That which projects like an ear, esp. that by which anything is supported, carried, or grasped, or to which a support is fastened; an ear; as, the lugs of a kettle; the lugs of a founder's flask; the lug (handle) of a jug.

3. Mach.

A projecting piece to which anything, as a rod, is attached, or against which anything, as a wedge or key, bears, or through which a bolt passes, etc.

4. Harness

The leather loop or ear by which a shaft is held up.

5. Zool.

The lugworm.

Lug bolt Mach., a bolt terminating in a long, flat extension which takes the place of a head; a strap bolt.

 

© Webster 1913.


Lug, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Lugged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Lugging (?).] [OE. luggen, Sw. lugga to pull by the hair, fr. lugg the forelock.]

To pull with force; to haul; to drag along; to carry with difficulty, as something heavy or cumbersome.

Dryden.

They must divide the image among them, and so lug off every one his share. Collier.

 

© Webster 1913.


Lug, v. i.

To move slowly and heavily.

 

© Webster 1913.


Lug, n.

1.

The act of lugging; as, a hard lug; that which is lugged; as, the pack is a heavy lug.

[Colloq.]

2.

Anything which moves slowly.

[Obs.]

Ascham.

 

© Webster 1913.


Lug, n. [Etymol. uncertain.]

1.

A rod or pole.

[Prov. Eng.]

Wright.

2.

A measure of length, being 16 [Obs.] " Eight lugs of ground."

Spenser.

Chimney lug, ∨ Lug pole, a pole on which a kettle is hung over the fire, either in a chimney or in the open air. [Local, U.S.]

Whittier.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.