Last night I went upstairs to my bed with thoughts of you in my mind. Before I lay down I flicked on the light switch while I set my alarm clock. On the ceiling, my plastic glow-in-the-dark stars absorbed the artificial rays until they were full of their childish potency. Outside, lightning flashed and for just a moment, standing there in the strange light of my childhood bedroom, I was scared. Then I imagined your hand holding mine tightly and was able to turn the light off. The stars glowed down on me as I sank into bed-- still wrapped up tight in my silky bathrobe-- and laying my head on the pillow, I closed my eyes for just the briefest of moments. I imagined that you were there, and then I slipped away into the ethereal world of dreams. Somewhere above, the stars shone down on me and in my dreams I could see them populating the glowing sky above us.

As the night waned the power of those plastic glow-in-the-dark stars waned too. When I woke up at five to a flash of lightning they had been drained of all their power and simply hung on the ceiling, faintly green in the breaking day. The alarm clock went off and I hung my dreams up too, letting them dangle from the ceiling just out of reach.

When I lie down tonight all the power those dreams have accumulated during the day will shine forth and by starlight we'll forever kiss again, breathing into each other.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.