Milos is one of Greece's volcanic islands, so it has spectacular rock formations and hot springs. A bicycle, motorcycle (papaki) or car would useful if not essential. It is slightly industrialized with mineral mines but don't let that scare you away.This is a beautiful island with fantastic beaches like Chivadolimni, Lagkada and Apollonia where you can take a boat to the island of Kimilos. The main village of Plaka is made up of the cubic white houses which the Cyclades are known for. The island is rich with archeological sites including Christian catacombs, a roman ampitheatre, and Venetian castles and museums. Daily boats to and from Pireaus connect the island to Sifnos, Serifos and Kythnos. It's about a 7 hour trip to Pireaus. There are also 3 boats a week to Agios Nikolaos in Crete and one or two a week to Folegandros, Sikinos, Ios and Santorini.

    Any of you that retained something from art history will recall that the famous statue, the Venus de Milo was found on Milos. My high-school history teacher was from Milos, so that fact was pounded into us. The small island of Kimolos is worth the visit, and is accessable daily by ferry from the port town of Polonia. The island is great, has really nice beaches and hot springs, so it's worth it to spend a day soaking up the rays there. Milos is large enough so that you can enjoy hiking around, and the Venetian castles are fun to explore. There was a lot more stuff roped off on my last trip, but in general, you can see more of archeological sites on the islands, as compared to the mainland. There are small passages and various cisterns that the intrepid explorer can wander. Some of the real cool cisterns are filled with murky water, but you can hop around on little islands of fallen rubble, and shafts of sunlight filter down through holes in the ceiling. It's fun...really...

--back to Greek Islands--
adapted with permission; see main node

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.