The Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority, also known as the T, this is Boston's subway system. It consists of the Green Line, which is actually a bunch of lines, the Red Line, the Orange Line, the Blue Line, the commuter rail, and the bus. It is the oldest subway system in North America, and by far the coolest, IMHO.

The MBTA is a great subway system. My personal favorite line is the Red Line because of its long cars, smooth, quiet ride, and cleaner, more modern appearance. The LED displays, and the always intelligible automated voice announcing the next stop&are great, too. I also enjoy its connections to MIT, as my cousin is a student there. Although, I wish the Kendall/MIT station were a bit closer. If you're trying to get to Baker House, try getting off at the Hynes/ICA stop on the Green Line.

Recent news, the T fares have just gone up. :( It now costs a whole dollar to ride most of the T lines. I still like it though. However, since I did the initial write-up, I had a chance to ride the DC Metro. Wow. Now there was a nice system. It was definitely way more expensive than the T, but the stations were clean, and they had this nifty flashing light thing that told you when the next train was about to arrive. Also, the stations were much more uniform-looking than those on the T. There was also a nifty ticketing system where you get a little card that has the exact fare you need to get from one place to another. Of course in Boston, you wouldn't need that for the most part, since the fare is the same for all except a few routes.

I worked in Boston during the summer of 1999 and rode the Green Line from the Boylston station to Lechmere everyday. I missed the last returning train from Lechmere too many times but still loved the T. Houston has nothing of the sort and Austin has the Capital Metro Bus System but that isn't any where nearly as cool as the subway.

The Green Line has a smell that I can't quite forget and I still get a nostalgic when I smell something similar. Boston is a cool city, except for the unfriendly manner one receives in the shops and the time two thugs tried to rob my late one night on Charles Street.

Some people say it stands for Mr. Bulger's Transit Authority, after Whitey Bulger or Billy Bulger, two brothers who (at one time) controlled the two largest organized crime syndicates in Massachusetts - the Irish Mafia and the Legislature.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.