Every week, "Maakies" brings to mind times long ago by including, below the main comic strip, a smaller second strip, usually completely unrelated to the main strip.

Up until World War II, newspapers printed their weekday comic strips at what would today be considered incredibly huge sizes. Bigger than many newspapers print some of their Sunday comic strips these days, in fact.

Some cartoonists felt they had so much room to work with that they took a little bit of room at the bottom of their daily strip and turned it into a separate strip, sometimes involving characters from the main strip, and sometimes not. If the main characters were in the middle of an adventure, meaning there wasn't a punchline up top, the bottom might be one of the supporting characters telling a joke to another character.

The most famous example of this was in the early 1910s, when George Herriman drew, at the bottom of his "The Dingbat Family" strip, a mouse throwing a rock at a cat. The cat and mouse eventually left for a full-sized spinoff strip, "Krazy Kat."

Since there's no way such a thing would be legible at the size newspapers now print their daily comic strips, it's left to the alternative weeklies to print "Maakies" large enough to allow Tony Millionaire to recall the good old days.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.