Born Scott Davis, January 21, 1942, Mac Davis' commercial success peaked in the mid-1970s. He started out his career doing time with local rock bands in his hometown of Lubbock, Texas. After being hired in management roles for small record labels, Mac found his fast track when he took over the music publishing division of Liberty Records. At this point he was writing and composing his own songs, which were recorded by everyone from Kenny Rogers to Elvis Presley. "A Little Less Conversation," "Memories" and "In The Ghetto" were Elvis songs composed by Mac Davis.

Davis nailed down his own hit single in 1972 with the song "Baby, Don't Get Hooked on Me" which began his new reputation as something of a country-goes-pop or "countrypolitan" minstrel. His other hits included "Whoever Finds This, I Love You," "Stop and Smell the Roses" and "Watchin' Scotty Grow."

Starting in 1974, Davis ventured into new territory... the mid-70s binge of "variety shows." His, creatively named "The Mac Davis Show," had three different incarnations over the course of three years and never really reached its hoped for audience. It might have been the regular presence of mimes on the show that brought ratings down. His efforts to improvise songs based on titles given by the audience was another idea that worked far better in theory than in practice.

His movie and television career peaked in 1979 with the film "North Dallas Forty" which he co-starred in with Nick Nolte. In all he appeared in seven movies, although the peak came too early as "North Dallas Forty" was his first.

A man with a sense of humor and great songwriting skill, Davis has become remembered for his mellow, laid back efforts... some would say resting his heels on the footstool of mediocrity and letting it coast him through life. His sense of humor about his lack of commercial success in the past twenty years is seen best in his 1994 album "Will Write Songs for Food."

Baby, Don't Get Hooked On Me
by Mac Davis

Girl, you're gettin' that look in your eyes
And it's startin' to worry me
I ain't ready for no family ties
Nobody's gonna hurry me
Just keep it friendly girl, 'cause I don't wanna leave
Don't start clingin' to me girl, 'cause I can't breathe

Chorus:
Baby, baby, don't get hooked on me
Baby, baby, don't get hooked on me
'Cause I'll just use you then I'll set you free
Baby, baby, don't get hooked on me

Girl, you're a hot blooded woman-child
And it's warm where you're touching me
But I can tell by your tremblin' smile
You're seein' way too much in me
Girl, don't get your life get tangled up with mine
'Cause I'll just leave you, I can't take no clingin' vine

Chorus (x 2 to fade)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.