Μακαρ

In the Iliad, a king of the island of Lesbos. Traditions vary about his origin: in some accounts he is said to have been one of the sons of Helios and Rhodus (see HELIADES), who fled from Rhodes after the murder of his brother Tenages and took refuge in Lesbos. Some authors call him Macareus rather than Macar. In other versions he is said to have been a son of Crinacus and therefore a grandson of Zeus. He was also said to have been a native of Olenus in Achaea.

After the flood associated with Deucalion, Macar came to Lesbos at the head of a group of Ionians and other settlers from various places. Macar's settlement flourished and he assumed power over the neighboring islands which then were uninhabited. At about the same time LESBOS, the son of Lapithes, arrived in Lesbos. He came with some companions in obedience to an instruction from the Pythian oracle to settle on Macar's island. He married Methymna, a daughter of Macar. The two groups of people, those who came with Thessalian Lesbos and the Ionians of Macar, inhabited the island jointly. The island later became known as Lesbos. Macar had another daughter, Mytilene, besides Methymna. Each of them gave their name to a town in Lesbos.

Another tradition made Macar a son of Aeolus (see MACAREUS). One of his daughters gave her name, Amphissa, to the town in Locris. It is said that she had an intrigue with Apollo.

{E2 DICTIONARY OF CLASSICAL MYTHOLOGY}

Table of Sources:
- Schol. on Pind. Ol. 7,73 (135);
- Diod. Sic. 5,56ff.; 5,81ff;
- Nonnus, Dion. 14,44;
- Hom. Il. 24,544 with schol.;
- Strabo 8,3,31, p. 356; 13,1,7, p. 586;
- Paud. 10,38,4;
- Dion. Hal. Ant. Rom. 1,18,1.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.