makros meaning large and karpos meaning fruit. (Greek)

There are a number of species which are named macrocarpa, here are four:

Eucalyptus macrocarpa is a smaller eucalypt with a mallee habit (sprouting from multiple stems).
It has silvery, oval leaves growing close to the branches and large red flowers.
The gumnuts which follow the flowers are also large and have a smoky grey covering.

Thomasia macrocarpa is a small, rounded shrub to about 1.5 metres high. Grey-green leaves range from oval to heart-shaped, toothed and about 45 mm long. They are velvety when young and become smooth as they age. Purple flowers are followed by capsules containing black seeds.

Cupressus macrocarpa or Monterey Cypress, Callitropsis macrocarpa is a species of cypress native to the central coast of California. In the wild, the species is confined to two small populations, near Monterey and Carmel. These represent what was once a very large forest on the west coast. The surviving trees from this forest can be as old as 2000 years.

Chambeyronia macrocarpa Is a large feather palm with some lovely common names; Blushing Palm, Red Leaf Palm, Red Feather Palm, Flame Thrower Palm. It hails from the New Caledonian rainforest and features a bright red new leaf, which stays red for up to 10 days. The watermelon form has an attractive yellow streaking on the crownshaft.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.