Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.

Come on Maggot Brain
Go on Maggot Brain

Originally recorded in 1971 by George Clinton and Funkadelic, another of those seminal early 1970s funk bands. The LP version was more than ten minutes long with only the above spoken lyrics. Conventional lore has it that Clinton told guitarist Eddie Hazel to play the first half of the song as if he had just learned his mother had died, and the second half as if she had found out she was alive.
The resulting guitar solo is considered one of rock and roll's definitive instrumentals. Maggot Brain has since become one of those songs that every garage or bar band covers. Perhaps the best cover I have heard is by bassist Mike Watt on the Ball Hog or Tugboat?/Sex With You is Like Scientific Wrestling album. Watt replaced the organ in the original version with a throbbing bass line that becomes the dominating current in the whole song. Some people consider this song as music for sex.
I have also heard covers of Maggot Brain by Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.