Someone skilled at creating perceptual illusions. Includes closeup magicians, escape artists, mentalists, and classic stage magicians like Harry Blackstone. Professional magicians won't pretend that what they do is paranormal - just very clever.

The first part of The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist. Originally published in two books, Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master, and collectively called Magician. There are apparently two versions; be sure to get the unabridged one. The other two books of the Riftwar Saga are A Darkness at Sethanon and Silverthorn. This series is a must-read for anyone interested in fantasy. Feist's books are stunningly beautiful, and it is a matter of opinion as to whether he or Robert Jordan is a better author. If you ask me, they just have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Ma*gi"cian (?), n. [F. magicien. See Magic, n.]

One skilled in magic; one who practices the black art; an enchanter; a necromancer; a sorcerer or sorceress; a conjurer.

<-- these days, mostly an entertainer who produces seemingly magical effects by clever illusions; most magicians admit that the craft is mere illusion, rather than a true supernatural art. -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.