Most people use at least a few tools when they work magick. Some people just use their hands and candles; others use the whole spread of magickal objects. These are mostly focusing tools that are immensely helpful to beginners for directing energy and raising consciousness; they are also cherished ritual objects for long-time practitioners, helping to boost confidence and use magick with ease. These tools should generally be consecrated if they are to be used as magickal objects; for suggestions on how to do this, read how to consecrate your magickal tools. Here is a short list of some of the most common and useful magickal tools:

And here I include some honorable mentions of tools that can be useful in magick but really didn't deserve their own nodespace:

Cord or Rope: I have never personally used a cord or rope for anything (except a fingerknit rope outlining my circle) but I know one day I probably will. A cord is a length of rope of just about any sort; it can be as simple as string or yarn and as complicated as fancy knotted ropes. You can use these for ceremoniously tying things together or binding, or for cutting as if breaking away a barrier. It's also good for measuring things. Cords have all kinds of magickal uses and trying to describe them all could take forever; I leave it to you to come up with good things to do with this versatile tool.

Music: Music can be a great tool. It is especially effective if it is made by you! Not necessarily written by you (though that's great too), but played by you, to raise energy. You can bring a recorder or other instrument you are proficient on and inspire yourself with songs, to get your blood moving and your awareness awakening. Keep in mind that singing is music too, as is chanting in rhythm or beating out a rhythm. Just playing music and dancing is wonderful too. If you'd like to choose music (either to play or to listen to) that symbolizes or emphasizes certain directions or elements, you can do that: stringed instruments are symbolic of Fire, wind instruments are symbolic of Air, brass instruments are symbolic of Water, and percussion instruments are symbolic of Earth. Some might say that singing is symbolic of the spirit while others might call voice a wind instrument. It is up to you.

The elements: The elements themselves are not tools, but the things used to represent them sometimes are. The four elements plus spirit make up the five points of the pentagram. Earth is often represented by a bowl of earth or salt and is put at the north of the circle. You can use a censer or an incense burner to represent Air to the east; some people prefer using flowers or other fragrant things to symbolize Air because the smoke bothers them. Special types of incense might be used on special occasions. Moving on to Fire: usually you use a candle for Fire in the circle, matching its color with the occasion, or you can use an oil lamp. And of course, Water is represented with water, usually in a chalice unless you just like puddles in your circle. There are a HUGE variety of alternate ways to represent the elements. For instance, you might just use four candles, each with a color symbolism for the elements (the most common one I've heard of is green for Earth/north, yellow for Air/east, red for Fire/south, and blue for Water/west). Or you might prefer using specific crystals or rocks, like sandstone for Earth, pumice for Air, obsidian for Fire, and limestone for Water.

God and Goddess images: Lots of people like to have symbols of the God and Goddess on their altars or in their other sacred spaces. As mentioned, sometimes They are symbolized with candles, but more often They are symbolized with little statues, trinkets, stones, or even hand signals. Some well-known ones to use for the God are an appropriately colored candle (some will say black, red, yellow, green, gold), a pine cone, a pointed stone of some kind, or an acorn, or any of the tools aligned with the God that are mentioned above. The Goddess symbols might include, again, an appropriately colored candle (some say white, red, green, black, silver), or a seashell, or a round stone, or again any of the tools mentioned that are aligned with Her. These are used to invoke, to provide inspiration, and for whatever other purposes the practitioner decides are appropriate.

Robes and other attire: Some people like to wear a special "magick" robe. Some people like to do everything naked (or "skyclad," as they would say). Both serve the same purpose; like the casting of sacred space, they get you into a different frame of mind, more conducive to using your mind in ways you don't ordinarily. It is a reminder that reality has shifted. Often in a circle, Wiccans or Witches will declare their sacred space a place outside time, it helps to transport to another reality. Having special clothes (or wearing none at all) helps to enhance that feeling. When you feel "magickal," you just work better. I think magickal jewelry also serves the same purpose.

Personal Items: Very important in most rituals and spells. Sometimes you'll use a charm, or a photograph, or anything else that reminds you of a person, intent, or anything else important to your purpose. Every once in a while I'll use a specific Tarot card from my deck as an inspiration to help me clarify my purpose. Also, in almost all of my rituals and spells I've had my rose quartz stones in the circle, because that stone is symbolic of unconditional love and is a reminder that nothing but love should enter in or leave out of the circle. It is amazing how effective it is to just have one or two reminders on your altar somewhere.

YOUR HANDS: The most powerful natural tool. For most people, the right hand is the projective and the left is the receptive. You would use the right hand to hold projection tools and to cast energy, while the left hand might be used to absorb energy and possibly to pick up vibrations if you are into doing that sort of thing. Also, you can use your hands to invoke the God and Goddess and ask for Their presence. Inventing your own private hand signals for them works fine. You can direct and channel energy with your hands and sometimes use them for purification, complicated signals, or healing.

Please keep in mind that tools are not absolutely necessary for magick, and there is nothing you "need" to use it. Magick is primarily a force of the mind, and if you don't have that, no knife, bowl of water, or herb is going to drag it out of you. It's just a question of being inspired and raising the energy, and since tools can help us with both, they are quite useful.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.