Found in Austin, Texas, Magnolia Cafe manages to stand out even amidst a city filled with great restaurants. You may have noticed I compare it to restaurants: that is because despite the name, Magnolia Cafe, or simply "The Mag", in addition to being a great place to sit and drink coffee, is also an excellent restaurant. It is one of the cheaper restaurants in Austin, typically in the $5-10 range.

Their food is wonderful and varied, and fits almost any taste. Items include giant pancakes (gingerbread, buttermilk, wheat, and more), great omelettes, hamburgers, enchiladas, fajitas , and a tremendous amount of vegetarian items. For example, it is one of the few places one can get portobello mushroom fajitas. Magnolia Cafe stands out, however, by the fact that it is open "24 hours a day, 8 days a week" and during that time serves every single item on the menu. This has led to countless mid-morning trips to grab food, coffee, or the wonderful "Mag Queso" (a bowl of cheese with avacado in it).

A great location near downtown, and more importantly, my house, The Mag will always have a place in my heart. A wonderful place to hang out, it now has two locations open in Austin. I just recently tried the south location; the food is great but the atmosphere is noticeably different. If you're trying to impress a girl, I'd go with the South location, or another restaurant entirely, but for general time-wasting I'm gonna stick with the original.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.