Please note that this is in no way meant to discourage anyone from writing; it is quite the contrary. READ THE TEXT FROM BEGINNING TO END. I wish all of you much success outside of yourselves as well!

As this text was originally written in French, I decided to enclose the original.


      Of the thousands—did I say thousands, I surely meant millions—of talented writers, how many will become renowned enough to one day live off their writing? This question can be answered in two different ways: few, or many. It depends on your interpretation of the expression "live off" in this context: surely, if you regard it with economic and societal logic, the answer should be few. As said a wise noder, whose node or name I cannot find or remember*, “Are you going to write a book? And what will you call it? "Poems and writings by Mike Rack"? (or whatever your name is.) NO. Poem books do not sell unless you are famous or dead.” (If you are reading this, you can be sure that you are well and alive; there go about half of your chances... You also know whether you are famous or not) If you were here during this composition, you would perhaps comment that our wise noder only really denounced the publishing of books of poetry. Know however, that any first wide-spread publication and distribution is very difficult; and even if you succeeded there, it should be noted that it is rare that the fruits of a previously unpublished author go very far, given the shear number of other publications on the market.

      So, the big question almost poses itself now, as my quill quivers in the corner, why write? I have posed this question (though more personally) to many authors—beginners and amateurs. Few answers have come close to Ancientsnow’s: “I write because... I like to? I cannot define it very well, but it is like imitating your mother when you are a child. You see something that you like and you try to copy it. I love words. So I try to use them, to write.” And so here is the redeeming interpretation of the initial question (can one live off writing?)—dear writing that I so harshly treated in the last paragraph.

      Ancientsnow indicates the experience of copying the world about her (or the great written works that exist within it already), the things in reality and writing that please her. The copying she describes and the recreation in writing is called synthesis. By her writing, whether she knows it or not, like all of us, she learns about the world, and what she likes about it. She becomes conscious of what she likes, what interests her by—explicitly or subliminally—asserting it in her manuscripts and justifies these newfound qualities by motivating them in her texts… Writing helps the creator to discover himself by himself; it teaches him of his thoughts and ambitions, fears and reasons for being; it is the messenger of the conscious and the unconscious. It allows one to shun torments by asserting their existence and analyzing them, to denounce bothersome dubious hypotheses and establish meaning for himself.

      It is thus that a writer, by creating, thinking, justifying and expressing, procures a certain ease of mind… a certain security. Communication with everyone and no one, allows him to learn to know himself and to cast away existential angst. Writing helps humans enjoy the pleasures and mysteries that are otherwise concealed by hectic life by encouraging critical, artistic and personal reflexion through invigouration of the imagination and curiosity… by giving life to the motor of thinking beings… If writing is such a potent fuel for the intellectual forces of humans, it may help them sustain a greater and more lucid level of life, if they do not live off of it altogether. Behold the humanity of writing.

      Meanwhile, writing could also be a spiritual experience--a religion for one, regulated by the writer, the pen and the thinker: the trinity of this authoritarian and sacred institution. It does not attempt to control anyone. It has the goal of pleasing and calming, procuring comprehension and unity. It pulls us towards our own heaven. The colourful mosaic of our distinct and individual writing 'religions' pull us all towards one another... towards a nirvana of mutual understanding though the magic of composition; an ideal where anguish is slain, comprehension is absolute and pleasure is infinite. Behold the divinity of writing.


      Des milliers—ai-je dit milliers? Je voulais certainement dire millions—d’écrivains talentueux, combien seront assez reconnus, un jour, pour pouvoir vivre de leur écriture? Cette question peut être répondue de deux manières différentes : « peu, » ou bien « plusieurs. » Un peu contradictoire, n’est-ce pas? Vous verrez… La réponse dépend largement de l’interprétation de l’expression « vivre de.» Si vous examinez la question avec la lentille économique et sociétale, la réplique est évidemment, mais tragiquement, «peu.» Comme l’a bien énoncé un noueur—dont, ni le nœud, ni le nom, je ne pouvais trouver*—« Allez-vous écrire un livre? Et qu’appellerez-le-vous? Poésie et prose par qu’est-ce-esk-son-nom? Évidemment non! Sachez que les recueils de poésie se vendent seulement bien si l’auteur est mort ou déjà fameux. » (Si vous lisez ceci, vous pouvez être sûr et certain que vous êtes bel et bien vivant; fixez alors la fuite de la moitié de vos chances... Vous savez aussi si vous êtes une vedette ou non) Si vous étiez ici pendant cette rédaction, vous me feriez peut-être remarquer que le noueur a seulement mentionné la poésie, mais sachez que la publication et la distribution répandue d’une première œuvre est extrêmement difficile. Et même si vous réussissiez à cette étape, il faudrait remarquer qu’il y a tant d'écrits qui existent déjà dans le marché qu’il est rare que les fruits d’un nouvel auteur—parmi les millions—se portent loin.

      Conséquemment, la grande question se pose, alors que ma plume se mette a sanglotter dans son coin. Pourquoi écrire? C’est une question que j’ai posée, souvent plus personnellement, à plusieurs auteurs—des débutants comme des amateurs. Peu de réponses s’approchent à celle d’Ancientsnow : « J’écris puisque… j’aime cela? Je n’arrive pas à (le) définir très bien, mais le phénomène ressemble à imiter sa mère quand on est jeune. Tu vois quelque chose qui te plaît et tu essaies de la copier. J’adore les mots. Alors j’essaie de les utiliser, d’écrire. » Et voilà l’interprétation de la question initiale (peut-on vivre d’écrire?) que rachète l’écriture—la chère écriture—que j’avais tant renoncé au dernier paragraphe.

      Ancientsnow indique l’expérience de copier le monde autour d’elle (ou les grandes oevures qui y existent déjà), ce qui la plaît… Ce copiage, et recréation s’appelle synthèse. Par son écriture, qu’elle le sache ou non, comme nous tous, elle arrive à mieux comprendre le monde autour d’elle et—d’après ce qu’elle a communiqué—elle apprend au sujet d’elle-même. Elle devient consciente de ce qu’elle aime, de ce qui l’intéresse en l’affirmant en écriture et elle justifie ces désirs--ces intérêts--en les motivant dans ses textes… L’écriture aide le créateur à se découvrir seul; elle le renseigne au sujet de leurs pensées et de leurs ambitions, de leurs peurs et de leur raison être; elle est le messager du conscient et de l’inconscient. Elle permet à un auteur d'expulser ses tourments en les exprimant et les analyzant, de proposer des hypothèse quant aux doutes gênants et d'établir des buts existentiels appaisants. C’est ainsi que l’écrivain, en créant, en pensant, en justifiant, en exprimant... se procure une certaine aise, une certaine sécurité… Sa communication, à la fois, avec l’infini et le néant l’aide à se connaître et alors de calmer l’angoisse existentielle, de se placer dans son énorme univers et de s’orienter. L’écriture aide les humains à profiter au maximum des plaisirs et des mystères qui sont autrement ensevelis par la folie de la vie en incitant l’exercice de la réflexion critique, artistique et personnelle, ainsi qu'en animant la curiosité et l’imagination… en donnant vie au moteur des êtres pensants… Si l’écriture est le carburant de telles forces intellectuelles de l’humain on peut alors dire qu’il peut bien vivre de l'écriture; sinon mieux et plus pleinement vivre d’elle… Voilà l’humanité de l’écriture.

      Cependant, cette expérience n’est peut-être pas seulement intellectuel; elle pourrait être considérée une expérience spirituelle, une religion pour un, régulée par l’écrivain, la plume et le penseur: la trinité de cette institution sacrée et autoritaire. Elle ne tente de contrôler personne. Elle a le but de plaire et de calmer, de procurer compréhension et unité. Elle vise à créer un paradis pour chacun. Ce mosaïque de religions d'écrivains tente de nous lier tous pour nous mener vers le nirvana où l’angoisse et meurtrie, la compréhension absolue et le plaisir infini. Voilà la divinité de l’écriture.

*The wise noder was lawnjart and the quote comes from his piece in Words of advice for young noders

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.