END OF BOOK ADVERTISEMENTS

From Making the Movies

Making the Movies by Ernest A. Dench
New York, The Macmillan company, published 1915 (now in the Public Domain)


This material followed the final chapter of Making the Movies. As an ephemera buff, I thought I'd include it for thoroughness' sake.

 __________________________________________________
|                                                  |
|  The following pages contain advertisements of   |
|    a few recent Macmillan Publications           |
|__________________________________________________|

THE ART OF THE MOVING PICTURE

By VACHEL LINDSAY

Author of "The Congo and Other Poems," etc.

Cloth, 12mo, $1.50

Mr. Lindsay's book is one of the first to be written in appreciation of the moving picture. His purpose is to show how to classify and judge the better films.

The main thesis of the book is that the moving picture is essentially graphic rather than dramatic; the tendency of the art of the moving picture is away from its ostensible dramatic interest, towards the mood of the art exhibition. Moving pictures are pictorial; painting, sculpture and architecture shown in motion. He describes the types of photo plays, discusses the likeness of the motion picture to the old Egyptian picture writing, summarizes the one hundred main points of difference between the legitimate drama and the film drama, indicates that the best censorship is a public sense of beauty and takes up the value of scientific films, news films, educational and political films. The volume closes with some sociological observations on the conquest of the motion picture, which he regards as a force as revolutionary as was the invention of printing.

________________________

THE MACMILLAN COMPANY

Publishers 64-66 Fifth Avenue New York


NEW PAGE

RECENT BOOKS ON THE DRAMA

ASPECTS OF MODERN DRAMA
By Frank W. Chandler, Prof. of Comparative-Literature, University of Cincinnati.

Cloth, 8vo, $2.00.

"An interesting critical study of nearly 300 representative plays by the leading dramatists of the last quarter century . . . national and racial elements vividly contrasted . . . lend vitality and novelty to the learned author's expositions."

- Philadelphia North American

HOW TO SEE A PLAY
By Richard Burton, Author of "The New American Drama."

Cloth, 12vo, $1.25.

"Theatre goers will find the book illuminating to gauge the artistic and intellectual in the plays they see. The appeal is a broad one. Sound plays are the theme. A valuable manual for the playwright as well."

- The Bookseller, N. Y.

TWO BOOKS ON SYNGE

JOHN M. SYNGE: A Few Personal Recollections with Biographical Notes
By John Masefield, Author of "The Everlasting Mercy," etc. With frontispiece.

Boards, 12vo. Edition limited to 500 numbered copies. $1.50.

"An interesting little book is this in which on eof the most distinguished poets of the day gives his impression of Synge. The matter is very intimate in nature, narrating Mr. Masefields's relations with the Irish writer, reproducing cnversations with him and throwing in thes personal way new light on the character and genius of the man."

JOHN MILLINGTON SYNGE AND THE IRISH THEATRE
By Maurice Bourgeois.

Cloth, 8vo, $2.50.

"This book must, as a matter of course, displace everything else in existence as a collection of biographical details and of various people's personal impressions of Synge. A reader who has felt a lively curiousity about Synge and who has read everything else that has been published about him, will read page after page of personal details here in which almost every detail is new to him . . . It is the most remarkably exhaustive thing that has been written as far as we know about any modern writer within a few years of his death."

- Manchester Guardian.

THE MACMILLAN COMPANY

Publishers 64-66 Fifth Avenue New York


NEW PAGE

NEW MACMILLAN DRAMAS RECENTLY PUBLISHED

By ALICE BROWN
Author of "My Love and I," etc.
CHILDREN OF EARTH

Cloth, 12mo, $1.25

This is the ten thousand dollar American prize play. From thousands of manuscripts submitted to Mr. Ames at the Little Theatre, Miss Brown's was chosen as being the most notable, both in theme and characterization. Miss Brown has a large following as novelist and short story writer, and her play exhibits those rare qualities of writing and those keen analyses of human motives which have given her eminence in other forms of literature.
"A page from the truly native life of the nation, magnificently written."

- New York Tribune

"Ranks with the best acheivements of the American theatre."

- Boston Transcript

By JOHN MASEFIELD
Author of "The Tragedy of Pompey," "Philip the King," etc.
THE FAITHFUL

Cloth, 12mo, $1.25

Mr. Masefield's contributions to dramatic literature are held in quite as high esteem by his admirers as his narrative poems. In "The Faithful," his new play, he is at his best. It is described as a powerful piece of writing, vivid in characterization and gripping in theme.

By EDWIN ARLINGTON ROBINSON
Author of "Van Zorn"
THE PORCUPINE

Cloth, 12mo, $1.25

In manner of technique this three-act drama recalls someof the work of Ibsen. Written adroitly and with the literary cleverness exhibited in "Van Zorn," it tells a story of a domestic entanglement in a dramatic fashion well calculated to hold the reader's attention.

THE MACMILLAN COMPANY

Publishers 64-66 Fifth Avenue New York


Making the Movies - Contents ... Back to Chapter XL

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.