A type of copper ore that shows bands or bulls-eye patterns of shades of bright green. The biggest sources are Namibia and Congo, but it can also be found in the U.S. Very rarely crystals are found, but usually the opaque gemstone is cut flat or cabochon if it's going into a setting, or carved into everything from beads to boxes.

The stone will take a high polish, but is not too popular for jewelry because it has a low rating on the Mohs hardness scale (between 3.5 and 4) and also, being a metal ore, is quite heavy. (My necklace of malachite beads gives me a neckache if I wear it for long.)

It is nearly the same chemical composition as the less-common blue azurite and sometimes can be found in blue and green stripes or blotches in the same stone.

Mal"a*chite (?), n. [Fr. Gr. a mallow, from its resembling the green color of the leaf of mallows: cf. F. malachite. Cf. Mallow.] Min.

Native hydrous carbonate of copper, usually occurring in green mammillary masses with concentric fibrous structure.

Green malachite, or malachite proper, admits of a high polish, and is sometimes used for ornamental work. Blue malachite, or azurite, is a related species of a deep blue color.

Malachite green. See Emerald green, under Green, n.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.