Mange is caused by one specific kind of mite, the demodex mite, which is microscopic. The mite does not burrow into the skin itself, but actually lives in the hair follicles, which is the cause of the hair loss. The mite prevents further hair from growing, acting as a plug. The scabs and irritated skin are a secondary infection caused by the mites.

Mange is not contagious. Vets believe the demodex mite lives on the majority of dogs, and can be inherited. A break out of mange is a sign of the mites multiplying excessively, the cause unknown. However, young shorthaired dogs, or weak, elderly dogs seem to be afflicted the most.

Mange also shows no signs of itching. The dog does not seem to be irritated by the demodex mites. The cheyletiella mite, which is the most common, and the sarcoptes mite, which favors the ears and elbows, are contagious to humans. These mites do cause itching and scabbing mistaken for mange. No hair loss is related to the cheyletiella mite, and very little to the sarcoptes mite.

My dog was recentely afflicted with mange, and I had to do a bit of research. The secondary infection, generally pustules, can be treated with antibiotics. You should take your dog to the vet. There, they can do a skin scraping to see if the mites are present. If so they can recommend a prescription insecticide applied in a dip. It is expensive (cost me $16 a dip, and I had three done), but it works.

Mange is the name for an infestation of parasitic mites and characterized by skin lesions, itching, and loss of hair. There are many different types of mites that cause mange; as far as I am aware they all belong to the Suborders Astigmata and Prostigmata of the order Parasitiformes.

The two most well known types of mange are Sarcoptic Mange and Demodectic Mange. There are others, including Notoedric Mange, Psoroptic mange, Cheyletiella Mange, and Chorioptic Mange. There are forms of sarcoptic mange that can infest humans, and it also appears in dogs; hence its fame. Demodectic mange also appears in both dogs and humans, among other animals, but is not contagious and so is less common.

Due to the complexity of all these manges, you should probably go to the specific nodes in order to learn about specific types; here I will include a list of synonyms to aid you in finding your way around.

Sarcoptic Mange
Scabies, Seven Year Itch (Humans)
Canine scabies (Dogs, foxes)
Hog mange (Pigs)
Barn itch (A number of large barnyard animals)

Demodectic Mange
Demodecosis, Demodex, demodectic acariasis, follicular mange, and red mange.

Notoedric Mange
(Primarily in cats) Feline scabies and face mange.

Psoroptic mange
Sheep scab (Sheep, cattle, horses)
Rabbit ear mite (Rabbits)
Cattle scabies (Cattle)
Also, body mange, ear mange

Chorioptic mange
Foot scab, heel mites tail mange, leg mange, itchy leg, and scrotal mange.


This is a work in progress, as I try to node as many types of mange as I can. This node should have waited until I had noded a few more, but Hippie's WU, claiming that 'Mange = Demodectic Mange' provoked my into early posting.

Mange (?), n. [See Mangy.] Vet.

The scab or itch in cattle, dogs, and other beasts.

Mange insect Zool., any one of several species of small parasitic mites, which burrow in the skin of cattle. horses, dogs, and other animals, causing the mange. The mange insect of the horse (Psoroptes, ∨ Dermatodectes, equi), and that of cattle (Symbiotes, ∨ Dermatophagys, bovis) are the most important species. See Acarina.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.