Back to Surya Namaskar


The Postures of Surya Namaskar are accompanied by 12 mantras (verses) in Sanskrit. These are chanted at the time of holding each posture. These mantras are in fact 12 names of the Sun God, representing 12 qualities.

These mantras have 6 beejas (seeds), which are variations of the special syllable Hrim which signifies Shakti (primordial power).


Om Hraam Mitraaya Namah
(Salutations to Him who is my everlasting friend.)

Om Hrim Ravaye Namah,
(Salutations to Him who is shining & is eternal source of vitality.)

Om Hrum Suryaaya Namah,
(Salutation to Him who propels everyone into activity & is source of light.)

Om Hraim Bhaanave Namah.
(Salutations to Him who is in the eternal source of warmth.)

Om Hroum Khagaaya Namah,
(Salutations to Him who is source of life for all that moves in the sky)

Om Hraha Pooshnena Namah,
(Salutations to Him who nourishes all & gives strength.)

Om Hraam Hiranya-Garbhaya Namah,
( Salutations to Him who is the eternal source of energy emanating from its golden core.)

Om Hrim Marichaye Namah,
(Salutations to Him who is the Lord of Dawn & source of vibrations)

Om Hrum Aadityaya Namah,
(Salutations to Him who is the son of Aditi (Aditi = original Mother Goddess of energy))

Om Hraim Savitre Namah
(Salutations to Him who produces everything.)

Om Hroum Arkaya Namah,
(Salutations to Him who is fit to be worshipped as the very essence of vitality.)

Om Hraha Bhaskaraaya Namah.
(Salutations to Him who is the cause of luster & brings inner strength, confidence and inner awakening.)


At the end of one routine cycle, a thirteenth mantra has to be recited:

Om Shri Savitur-Suryanarayanaya Namah

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.