Rice bubble cake is one of the easiest, yummiest sweet treats you can make – no beating, no baking, no messing around. It is, however, one of those things that one is supposed to make for children, rather than adults. The swapping of maple syrup for honey and the addition of chopped pecans is a good way to adult it up. I use salted pecans because I’m a fan of salty with my sweet, but your call.

Ingredients

150g/6oz butter
150g/6oz sugar
3-4 tablespoons maple syrup (fake will do in this recipe)
4-5 cups rice bubbles (or maybe you call them rice krispies or rice snaps – whatever)
½ cup salted or unsalted pecan nuts chopped quite roughly


Method

Melt butter over a low heat with syrup
Add sugar and stir until dissolved. The mixture is likely to bubble and go fudge-y: this is good. Burning isn’t, so stir constantly. It’ll probably take 3-4 minutes for the sugar to dissolve completely.
Add rice snaps and pecans and turn until coated.
Turn into a square dish lined with baking paper and press down firmly until the top is flat and smooth looking (don’t break the bubbles but do press hard enough to compress the slice)
Leave to cool and harden
Turn out and cut into cubes.
Eat. Eat more. Exclaim “Gosh, these are divine!” Eat some more.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.