Rookie Goaltender for the Pittsburgh Penguins of the NHL, Marc-Andre Fleury was born in Sorel, Quebec, Canada on November 28, 1984. Fleury stands at 6'-2", 172 lbs. and like many Quebec-born goalies before him plays the butterfly style.

Fleury played junior hockey for the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League from 2000 to 2003 where he was named the Defensive Player of the Year for the 2002-2003 season and also selected to the second All-Star team that season. He finished his junior career with a 55-51-16 record with a 3.28 goals-against average.

Fleury's outstanding play helped Canada to a silver medal at the 2003 World Junior Hockey Championships. He received the Best Goaltender Award and was named to the tournament's All-Star team. In five games Fleury posted a 1.28 goals against average and .957 save percentage.

On June 21, 2003 the Pittsburgh Penguins traded the third overall draft pick, a second-round draft pick, and right winger Mikael Samuelsson to the Florida Panthers for the first overall draft pick and a third-round draft pick. The Penguins then used the first overall pick to draft Fleury, making him the second goaltender in modern NHL draft history to be drafted first overall.

After an impressive training camp and pre-season in September, the Penguins signed the 18-year-old Fleury to a contract on October 6, 2003. In accordance with club policy terms of the contract were not released.

On October 10, 2003 Fleury made his regular season NHL debut against the Los Angeles Kings. Fleury made 46 saves, but the rebuilding Penguins lost the game 3-0. Eight days later Fleury got his first NHL victory against the Detroit Red Wings.

Although it's early in the season Fleury is already proving that he could be a star in the NHL for many years to come.

Sources:
http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~norrisdt/bio/fleury.html
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=afp-ihockey_nhl_penguins&prov=afp&type=lgns
http://www.canoe.ca

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.