I am more confused right now than I have been in a long time. Things are changing in my life and I am not sure how to handle these changes.

I'm getting to the point where I'm winding down my studies and having to decide where I really want to go from here.

The dreams I once had, I lost...I don't know exactly what I want anymore. I used to be the kind of person where I could tell you the week, month, six month, year, two year, five year, ten year plan. And show you how I was sticking to my plan and succeeding.

What do I want? When it comes to my professional life, I don't know.

In my personal life, I'd like for my heart to stop hurting. I feel rather stupid for getting involved with someone in the first place. But I would have had to at some point. I'm a hopeless romantic. I can't help but wear my heart on my sleeve. Unfortunately for me, the English are just about the most unromantic race amongst all people. I went and fell in love with an old friend. I went and fell in love with someone who has remarked that he is my perfect match. I fell in love with someone who is still raw from his failed marriage. Everyone has baggage, I know...and it was good that he had some, because we understood each other...but what happens when his baggage gets in the way? When communication breaks down?

It seems that somewhere along the way, he has forgotten all the things he learned about me. He has forgotten how to be a friend, how to be a paramour, how to be a respectful, responsible person.

I never thought he would be one to cause me pain. I never thought I would cry over him. We need to talk. And I feel that if we don't talk before he goes away on a business trip next week, and I go on holiday, we will never sort out what is wrong. Leaving something hanging is not something I like to do.

I hate myself for putting myself in this position. I swear up and down that if this doesn't work, I will never fall in love again. This is the second time that I have been in love and even though it's the greatest feeling in the world, I think maybe what comes with it isn't worth it. I had to deal with death and bereavement, mourning, depression...That love almost killed me. This one won't. This isn't anywhere near as bad. But the new wound makes the old ones ache.

Wanting to go back to the way things were gets you nowhere. Because you can never go back.

An amazing (to me) thing happened at work. A group of us were discussing a problem with a part of our product, and one of us came up with an idea so outside-the-box that I was really impressed. I mentioned that, and Edward said that the genesis of it had been in an idea that I'd mentioned just previously.

I'm not going to describe the problem in detail, nor why Long's idea would solve it; a tangential hint is that the program is written in Java, and that we impose deadlines on the occurrence of various events. I'm just going to show you the change, and let you be amazed along with me:

Old code:

    Thread.sleep(SLEEP_TIME);
New code:
    Thread.sleep(SLEEP_TIME/2);
    Thread.sleep(SLEEP_TIME/2);
or, in words, instead of the program waiting for one hundred milliseconds, it waits for fifty milliseconds, twice in succession.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.