He is an Australian Formula 1 driver currently with the Jaguar Racing team.

Webber's racing career began at age 14 when he began competing (like many F1 stars) in the local Karting competitions. He moved up to race in the National Formula Ford championship and scored 3rd place at the 1995 Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch, England. Shortly after Webber was signed to the Van Diemen Formula Ford team (who's previous drivers include Ayrton Senna and Eddie Irvine) for the 1996 season. He ended the season runner-up and took the chequered flag at the 1996 Formula Ford Festival.

1997 saw Webber competing in the British F3 championship in which he finished 4th overall despite serious funding problems nearly cutting his season short. At this time he was invited to test for the Mercedes AMG Sportscar team. He competed in the FIA GT Championship in 1998 but returned single seat racing after a spectacular crash at Le Mans.

By 2000 Webber was driving in the International F3000 Championship and ended the season in 3rd place. Following a 3 day test for Benetton in Portugal he was contracted to Super Nova Racing for the upcoming F3000 season in addition to being the official test/reserve driver for the Benetton Renault F1 Team.

2002 was Mark's first full Formula 1 season in which he drove for the Minardi team. His F1 career got off to a flying start with a 2 point finish at his maiden home Grand Prix in Melbourne Australia. It was the start of an aggressive season on Webber's part despite the fact that he was driving as part of F1's smallest team.

In 2003 Mark Webber is behind the wheel of the Jaguar Racing R4. After 3 rounds he has recorded 3 DNF's due in part to Mechanical problems. Despite this both he and the team remain confident that they can pull it together for a strong season.



Update: 05/05/2003 - After 4 DNF's Webber has finished his first race (and scored his and Jaguar's first points) of the 2003 season, finishing 7th in the Spanish Grand Prix!

http://www.webber-racing.co.uk
http://www.f1.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.