Cigarette packaging oddity

There are several myths associating Marlboro to the Ku Klux Klan. Supposedly there is written KKK somewhere inside the packaging, but this is yet to be confirmed.

Other rumours says the three K's actually are hidden in the wide open. The inverted triangle that is characteristic of the Marlboro packaging is representing the letter K, and it is repeated three times on the pack, thus being a reference to the group in question.

In addition, if one turns the pack upside down, the Marlboro logo itself says something resembling orobl Jew. According the the myth, "Orobl" is a phonetic transcription of horrible, thus forming a statement to go with the reference to the Ku Klux Klan.

Actually, Marlboros were marketed as a cigarette for women, starting in 1924. The slogan used was "Mild as May", but the smokes weren't really popular, as Philip Morris only had about one quarter of one percent of the market up until the 1950s.

The Marlboro cowboy didn't arrive on the scene (along with other "manly man" images like sailors and construction workers ... sounds like the inspiration for The Village People, if you ask me) until 1954, thirty years after Marlboro had come onto the market, and the phrase "Marlboro man" didn't attain popularity until around 1957 or 1958.

The Marlboro cowboy became the sole "Marlboro man" in 1963. In 1964, the phrase "Come to Marlboro Country" was introduced, and this is when Marlboro began attaining popularity amongst smokers, with sales increasing about 10% a year.

In 1970, Marlboro was ranked third in world market share (behind Winston and Pall Mall), becoming the best selling smoke in 1972, a place it lost to Winston briefly, regaining the top spot in 1975. Philip Morris, however, didn't become the #1 cigarette manufacturer in the USA until 1983.

Marlboro remains the best selling cigarette brand in the world, selling nearly 7 billion packs a year in 1990, far ahead of Winston, selling a paltry 2 billion packs a year.

Y'know. I should quit smoking.


Most of the information found here
was adapted from "The History of Tobacco",
located at History Net, www.historian.org

Heres the low down on most of Marlboro's different cigarettes.

Menthol Lights are available in both Kings and 100's. They are most popular with younger female smokers. They are also a favorite among casual male smokers. Overall this is the third most popular flavor or Marlboro cigarettes.

Menthols are one of Marlboro's least popular flavors. They are available in both Kings and 100's. They are most popular with young black males (who smoke them as an alternative to Newports), and middle aged white women (who have moved up from Marlboro Menthol Lights).

Marlboro's Menthol Ultralight cigarettes are also one of Marlboro's least popular flavors. This was the first Ultra Light Menthol cigarette on the market. Although others quickly followed. They are available in both Kings and 100's. These cigarettes are very smooth (even compared to Marlboro Menthol Lights). They are most popular with people who are casual smokers (most of those being young women).

Marlboro Ultralight cigarettes are also not exceedingly popular. This was one of the first Ultra Light cigarettes on the market. Although GPC, Basic, and others quickly followed. They are available in both Kings and 100's. These cigarettes are very smooth (even compared to Marlboro Lights). They are most popular with people who are casual smokers (most of those being young men).

Marlboro Lights cigarettes are one of Marlboro's most popular flavors. This is the cigarette of choice for people under 30. Many will eventually switch to a different flavor, or a different brand altogether when they get older. They are available in both Kings and 100's. These cigarettes are very smooth (when compared to Marlboro Reds.

Marlboro Reds cigarettes are one of Marlboro's most popular flavors. This is the cigarette of choice for men over 30. Many of them drawn in at a much younger age by the cowboy images in Marlboro's advertisements. They are available in both Kings and 100's. These cigarettes are very strong (when compared to Marlboro's other flavors).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.