Marnie is a 1964 film directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It is a psychological drama dealing with the kleptomania of Marnie Edgar, played by Tippi Hedren. The male lead is played by Sean Connery as Mark Rutland, the wealthy business owner who befriends and attempts to help Marnie. The screenplay by Jay Presson Allen is based on the novel by Winston Graham

The main theme of the movie was the psychological exploration of Marnie and her past in an attempt to explain her kleptomania. Hitchcock keeps us on our toes as Marnie has several frightening panic attacks triggered by lightning, the color red, and knocks on the door. Hedren gives a very convincing performance as a truly disturbed young lady.

The film was a bit heavy-handed for my taste. I found Rutland's desire to help and expertise in psychoanalysis a bit contrived. His character is played as a playboy businessman interested in getting Marnie into bed, but then he is hiding her from the law and trying to delve into her psyche. Still it is a Hitchcock film, wonderfully shot. I completely missed Hitchcock's cameo, which I wouldn't have if I hadn't been drawn in despite my misgivings.

I understand Hitchcock began the project with Grace Kelly as the female lead, but she married the Prince of Monaco. She was still going to play the role until she was convinced that it wouldn't do for the Princess to portray a compulsive thief. The film was shelved until Hitchcock found Tippi Hedren, who first appeared in The Birds. He later went on to stalk Hedren - he tried to mold her into another Kelly - but that's another story.

Cast (in credits order)
	Tippi Hedren        ....   Marnie Edgar
        Sean Connery        ....   Mark Rutland 
        Diane Baker         ....   Lil Mainwaring 
        Martin Gabel        ....   Sidney Strutt 
        Louise Latham       ....   Bernice Edgar 
        Bob Sweeney (II)    ....   Cousin Bob 
        Milton Selzer       ....   Man at Track 
        Mariette Hartley    ....   Susan Clabon 
        Alan Napier         ....   Mr. Rutland 
        Bruce Dern          ....   Sailor 
        Henry Beckman       ....   First Detective 
        S. John Launer      ....   Sam Ward 
        Edith Evanson       ....   Rita 
        Meg Wyllie          ....   Mrs. Turpin 

rest of cast listed alphabetically 
        Alfred Hitchcock    ....   Man leaving hotel room (uncredited) 
        Louise Lorimer      ....   Mrs. Strutt (uncredited) 
        Melody Thomas Scott ....   Young Marnie (uncredited) 

Tagline: Only Alfred Hitchcock could have created so suspenseful a sex mystery!

Reference: imdb.com


I always thought Vertigo was my favorite Alfred Hitchcock film, but I rewatched "Marnie" this morning and now I'm not so sure.

The deep mahoganies punctuated with the even deeper red drapes; the overhead shot of the olive green phone in her hand clashing with the bright green felt of a pool table; the sexual visual of the poolside rescue operation; the humping visual of the horseback hunt with Lil in the foreground and Marnie in the background. Who among them could think they could outshine you? It's a miracle more filmmakers didn't just give up.

He does love his overhead shots, as the one of the boxy Princeton Gray Lincoln Continental when they arrive at the dinner where she realizes he's in love with her. Hitchcock is like God when he uses this device.

When Connery strips her naked and then reclothes her, you realize what a much better actor he is than her. No wonder Hitchcock wanted Grace Kelly for the role. That would have been sublime.

Some of the best lines in any of his films:

"I wanted to kill myself; not feed the damn fish."

"Would you enjoy an indoor liar or an outdoor liar. Playboy or Field and Stream?"

Her wonderfully whispered "There. There now." Best potential suicidal monologue ever, spoken as a child after she's murdered Bruce Dern and after, as an adult, when she shoots her horse.

But he saves the best for last with the image of having her mom look directly at Connery's crotch before she looks up into his eyes and attacks him. Perfect, Alfred. Just perfect. There's your theme in a nutshell, so to speak.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.