The Purpose of the Mars Society

To further the goal of the exploration and settlement of the Red Planet. This will be done by:

  1. Broad public outreach to instill the vision of pioneering Mars.
  2. Support of ever more aggressive government funded Mars exploration programs around the world.
  3. Conducting Mars exploration on a private basis.

Starting small, with hitchhiker payloads on government funded missions, we intend to use the credibility that such activity will engender to mobilize larger resources that will enable stand-alone private robotic missions and ultimately human exploration.

Their quirky motto is: "We're not from Mars, but we surely intend to go there!"

And what could be finer? The founding Convention occurred in Boulder, Colorado, in August of 1998. Emerging from the 1980's "Case for Mars" conferences and a book of the same name by Dr. Robert Zubrin, it drew together 700 people from six continents. Those 700 visionaries, scientists, authors, students, and citizens took up the banner of the Mars movement, informing our world that the opportunity for the expansion of human civilization and the human soul exists today. In short:The Future Is Now.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.