Materials science investigates how the properties of materials are determined by structure, composition, and processing of those materials.

This requires knowledge from the fields of physics, chemistry, and engineering.

See also:
Chemistry
Physics
materials science and engineering

I might as well make this a metanode, so here are some more links:

Electromagnetic properties:
Fermi Level
semiconductor
p-n junction
bandgap
optical bandgap

Mechanical properties
shear stress
elastic deformation
plastic deformation
phonon
precipitation hardening
strain hardening

Types of materials
metallurgy
Perlite
nanotube
carbon nanotube
polymer
Liquid Crystal Polymer
Dendrimer
glass
Ceramics
composite material
intelligent material

Structure
Liquid Crystal (also liquid crystal)
crystal
crystallography
crystal classes
crystal systems
crystallographic groups
lattice
bcc
Body-Centered Cubic

Analysisfocused ion beam microscopy

I want to keep this up-to-date, so please /msg me if you know of any other materials science nodes, or if you write one yourself.

I was looking at the spate of recent announcements about the amazing things being done with nanomaterials such as buckminsterfullerene, and realized that current developments in materials science herald devices of a nature beyond what we currently believe to be possible. From the days when the ancient Greeks discovered that amber could generate static electricity when rubbed against cloth, materials research and development has been an integral part of science.

Today's ever-smaller and ever-faster devices would be impossible without the performance gains in substrates, dielectrics, conductors, and electrolytes. Where would the industry be without advanced materials to realize the technology? Even Moore's Law is being given a new lease on life via breakthroughs in materials.

Another example are films like the new polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon) membrane for fuel cells and ultracapacitors that will enable more energy to fit into smaller spaces than ever before. In the area of capacitor dielectrics, niobium is starting to threaten tantalum, and for traditional silicon dioxide gate stacks, ultrathin films of zirconia and zirconium silicate are being investigated as a replacement. In each case, the materials enable the technology, not the other way around.

The latest crop of new IC designs would be nothing but thought exercises without the wafer technology to embody them. Let's not forget polymers, either. Dielectrics, displays, and even transistors are being developed using this material.

Hybrid formulations using organic resins and ferroelectric ceramics with high dielectric constants are being used to construct integrated passive devices and decoupling capacitance films. Even biological materials are being investigated for use in electronic devices. The future of electronics science is visible in the current state of materials art.

Another thing I've noticed is the emergence of materials providers as technology players. Companies such as 3M, Dow Chemical, and DuPont are buying the intellectual property behind the technology developments such as OLEDs, becoming major players on both sides of the equation, moving beyond simply providing the raw material to taking an active hand in the development of the technology. The key is to remember that the possible is a moving target, changing as materials technology progresses.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.