Atari 2600 Game
Produced by: Atari, and Sears
Model Number:CX2658 (Atari) and 49-75128 (Sears)
Rarity: 3 Atari and 4 Sears
Year of Release: 1982
Programmer: Suki Lee

Who's up for some math? Grab your calculators and put on you helmets kiddies. It is time to do a little mathematical auto racing, Atari style.

Math Gran Prix is an educational game. The object is to move your car around the track by solving math problems. The action is more like a board game than anything else. There are several skill levels, but none of them are suited for anyone older than nine. This game is a contest of frustration among adults, as whoever moves first will always win, assuming you don't miss any of the questions, (which you won't). Leave this games to the kids, play Grand Prix instead, for auto racing without the math.

From the instruction manual (Atari version)

MATH GRAN PRIX is an educational game for children, ages 6 through 10. By solving arithmetic problems shown on the screen, players move their cars along the Gran Prix track. While the game is designed to exercise and strengthen basic arithmetic skills, it also offers children an element of chance and surprise that will capture their attention and enthusiasm.

In addition to nine different game versions, MATH GRAN PRIX contains a built-in "tutor" to encourage players of all skill levels. The computer will respond to incorrect answers by offering progressively easier problems. The problems become more difficult in response to correct answers. This helps to balance the different abilities of two players, and insures a more exciting race for each game.

Part of arithmetic reasoning is learning to find different and quicker ways to solve problems. To enhance this goal, each player has the option of playing MATH GRAN PRIX with a time limit on each problem. A more advanced player may choose to play with a time limit, while the other player plays without.

Collectors Information

This game was released under both the Atari and Sears labels, both are worth about $4 USD. Both versions have the same art of insanely happy children fading into race cars (the children pictured on Atari carts always scare me). Finally, I am sure all of you little Atari fans out there already know that "games with boxes and manuals are worth more".

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.