Dear you,

I'm not really sure how to say this. I'm not really sure that I want to say it. But I've never been the type to stay quiet when something's on my mind, so I'm sure I'll say it anyway, in one form or another. Might as well say it here, now, to give me plausible deniability if you ever ask about it.

I can't stop thinking about the future. Rather, I can't stop thinking about possible futures. It's ridiculous, really. My plans don't allow for those futures for years. Two or three, at least. A lot can, and will, change in three years. Intellectually, I know that, but how do you pass that knowledge on to the rest of you? I can't think of a way, and I have been giving it some thought, believe me.

Better, I think, to recognize daydreams for what they are. To recognize, and to keep putting one foot in front of the other regardless. I've had my dreams and plans swayed too often by wishful thinking to allow it to happen again, at least on any level that I can pretend to control. I'd like to think that life has taught me not to be a fool, but I know that I'd only be deceiving myself. We humans are rife with follies, and I am as guilty of it as any court jester. But if I am to play victim to the vagaries of imagination, it will be in thought only.

With such a covenant made, here is a toast, then, to the future. May you be well, no matter what happens. May we also share an excellent friendship, no matter what happens. And may I always be here if you need me.

No matter what happens,
me

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.